Re: Google in Klingon

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Yes, but it's a fictitious language, hence the 'scare' quotes. I guess it
> should have been placed differently, e.g.
>
> A new 'language' called Klingon has been added to the Google database.

Klingon is not a fictitious language. The Star Trek race for which it
was named is fictional, but the language is real. It's *artificial*
(like Ido and Esperanto and Volapük), but that doesn't keep it from
being a real language.

> I can imagine some geekery sitting around and composing a Klingon dictionary
> (I will /not/ volunteer) just for the heck of it. Then, they will slowly
> learn it and go around talkin' trash.

Your imagination fails to capture reality in this case. Klingon was
created by a linguist under contract to Paramount Pictures, for the
third Star Trek movie. It was published as _The Klingon Dictionary_
twenty years ago. That book is the primary resource for anyone learning
to speak Klingon.

And the conversations I've had in Klingon with people have been about
such things as board games, turbine engines, camping in the mountains,
meteor showers...almost never about garbage.