Re: Please don't feed the trolls

In comp.os.linux.misc Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: I sometimes wonder if the Windows newsgroups, to which I am not subscribed,
: have similar types of trolls that provoke Windows advocates. Either way, I
: second your thoughts, but I too was guilty of replying to 'flatfish'.

Sure- there are "trolls" in many user groups. I think that some folks
just like to get their names out there and conduct arguments. There
have been at least some deliberate attempts to set records ( some
_really_ long threads out there! ). Plus I can't help but feel that
it is easy and could be fun to provoke religious zealots since
they react so predictably.

If one really needs to react it would be much better to present
only facts and not opinions, and keep it professional - yet most
of the replies seem to be from zealots and quickly degenerate into
juvenile name-calling, bible-thumping, and so on - exactly what the
troll was likely looking for.

But that's just the way usenet is.

Stan
--
Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
www.worldbadminton.com