Re: Google Throws Down the Gauntlet to Gates

__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 12:37, [Logician] wrote : \__

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/columnists.nsf/techtalk/story/26FEC6D0F9C67A7286257068006DDB61?OpenDocument

> For months the rumours have been building, and now people are openly
> saying that Google will directly challenge Microsoft in the PC
> operating systems market and in other market areas dominated by
> Microsoft.
>
> The above is a mirror of what has been said for months now by
> journalists.
>
> Google's cash has been working hard:
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_36/b3949050_mz011.htm

I foresaw a similar trend before journalists dared to talk about it.
Microsoft dominate the desktop, but computing is drifting towards the
Internet, which is presently dominated by Google.

February:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/02/22/browsers-to-dominate/

April:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/04/26/online-os/

I am not saying that others failed to make similar speculations, but notable
writers were reluctant to make statements which are overly bold.

My latest guess was this:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/17/computers-become-hosts/

You will have void machines and carry your favourite O/S, applications and
entire data in your pocket, only using computational servers. There is a
lot of secrecy behind the ambition, which is why Apple, Palm and Microsoft
all push hard towards a good hard-drive-based portable device.