Re: Ubuntu Live & Install 2 CD Set

  • Subject: Re: Ubuntu Live & Install 2 CD Set
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:35:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 12:34, [Jack Ouzzi] wrote : \__

> John wrote:
>> Jack Ouzzi wrote:
>>
>> > I have just had some Ubuntu CD sets sent to me, I asked for 1 and got
>> > 10 ;-)
>>
>> I understand that that is the minimum they send out. The other nine, as
>> I understand it, are for you to give to friends and acquaintances, in
>> order to encourage others to try GNU/Linux. Giving them to those
>> already subscribed to uk.comp.os.linux is preaching to the converted,
>
> Not necessarily, there maybe newbie lurkers (like I was) who may want a
> copy.
>
> Funnily enough I mentioned this to the IT dept of the company where I
> work part time (about 120 employees) and all I got was the usual abuse
> ...... only for people with beards and sandals etc etc etc. So I am not
> even going to bother mentioning it to anyone at work, in any case the
> windows servers are always breaking down, so e-mails may or may not get
> delivered!

M.M., I would love to have a copy as I have the outdated Warty Warthog. I
don't know, however, if I should install Ubuntu. I bought a new machine
this morning (posted hours ago to this NG in reply to a very old thread,
namely the Dabs offer) and would appreciate it if someone could remark
briefly on what I should do. Here are some snippets:

[machine with preinstalled Mandrake 9.2]

Is there any way of getting Mandriva on this machine without CD burning
facilities? If not, will Ubuntu Warty Warthog be considered an upgrade from
Mandrake 9.2? ... All I need this machine for is SSH to other (SuSE 8.2)
boxes....

...I don't need bloat. Will Mandrake 9.2 just be fine? Ubuntu? Latest
Mandriva? SuSE 10 beta 3?

If I get no advice, I will just stick with Mandrake.

Many thanks,