Re: KNode crashes

__/ On Sunday 28 August 2005 13:39, [Timothy Murphy] wrote : \__

> KNode often crashes for me -
> maybe once every two or three days,

In my case, KNode 0.7.2 crashed only 2 or 3 times in the past 1.5 years
(around 3,500 outgoing messages). It is my most stable application. While
it doesn't help you solve your problem, it can be used as evidence of
stability, which might provide with better re-assurance in the future. I
use SuSE 8.2.

> running it perhaps three times a day.
> [It just crashed, which is why I am posting this.]
>
> The crashes don't in fact cause any problem.
> When I restart knode there is some discrepancy
> in the number of posts listed,
> but these right themselves as I go through the groups.

Crashes are most frustrating if you are in the midst of composing a message.
Consider yourself fortunate.

> What I am writing about is the message
> which asks me to send information about the crash
> to a KDE site.
> I've really no idea what information I could send.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can try to describe what you did before the crash, e.g. "I was quickly
shifting between one newsgroup to another". If the crashes recur
frequently, run KNode from the command line and see if a description of the
error gets shown upon crashing.

There may be some log files too, but I am not sure what their location would
be. ~/.kde/share/apps/knode/ would be a good location to look at for a
start.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com