Re: Linux Becomes Female?

__/ On Monday 29 August 2005 04:05, [John Thompson] wrote : \__

> On 2005-08-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am told that "gimp" has some connotation with a character in Pulp
>> Fiction.
>
> No:
> GNU
> Image
> Manipulation
> Program

Yes, I am aware and it has been discussed already. I have never met somebody
who used the.... *counting* 11 syllables name.

>>> Pub?  A longhorn is a range cow, surely!  As such it has connotations of
>>> the wild west. Pub! Indeed!
>>
>> No, the story I was informed of involved a pub near the Microsoft
>> headquarters, which had this name. MS employees, who went there quite
>> frequently, wanted to use that name.
>
> So they replaced it with "Vista" -- as in "still a long way off." :-)

*LOL*

http://tinyurl.com/avz5q

> Well, how do open source projects afford high-priced marketing consultants
> to pick the right name? :-)

This reminds me of the following:

http://openusability.org/projects/gimp
 [Titled "GNU Image Manipulation Program meets OpenUsability"]

Different aspect, which nonetheless has some parallels.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "The speed of time is one second per second"
http://Schestowitz.com