Re: Extensions, JRE, and Music

__/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 09:40 \__

>> __/ ["WD10" <.>] on Monday 29 August 2005 08:03 \__
>>
>>> I just downloaded Horde but it's going to take a while to figure out.
>>> It looks great though...
>>

>> Here are some old screenshot that I have lying around:
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/horde.jpg
>>
>> Here is the nice initiative at getting an AJAX-enabled feed reader:
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/500.jpg
>

> That looks great.  I hope I have enough time tomorrow to install it.

If you need some help, just holler.

>>> http://www.codetch.com/.  This is going to be one of the best
>>> extensions).
>>

>> It looks very promising. I will wait until I get a nod from someone who
>> uses
>> it.
>
> The guy who is working on it has this list of features he is adding:
>
>     *  FTP
>     * Project/Site manager
>     * File type association manager
>     * Extensible editor system
>     * Syntax Highliter (help pls!)
>     * Photoshop-like color picker
>     * CSS manager/editor
>     * Code snippet insertion
>     * HTML insertion dialogues
>     * Find and Replace
> (http://www.zachcarter.info/)
>
> I think that it is going to be great.

It sounds like something revolutionary. Not mind-blowing, but something that
will get people talking... if it's GPL'd, which I('d like to) assume it is,
then syntax highlighting is something that can easily be re-used. KWrite,
for example, highlights so many conceivable formats and syntaxes.

>> Because not enough people require it at present. I see the way my parents
>> handle the browser. Some would rather pay, become ignorant as to what's
>> under the hood and become dependent on a product.
>>
>> Am I bitter? No. They peril themselves. But sometimes my family and
>> friends
>> peril themselves and that's when I get a taste of it too...
>
> But what about schools and universities?  When I was a kid we had to take
> class every year on how to use the library system to look up books.  It's
> 2005 now.  Every kid should have a class every year on how to use the
> Internet for research--and everyone should have a free tool to use for
> that
> purpose (a browser that can organize Web information).

It is moving in that direction:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/23/tech/main791462.shtml

Sadly, in our university, some student need to be taught about backup first.
I am involved with endless sobs about losses  of theses and dissertations.
You'd think that a Master or Ph.D. student would know better and not store
his/her file on just a floppy disk or a pen drive.

>A browser with
> those features integrated would be perfect and the next generation would
> understand how to use it.  I wonder how difficult it would be to write a
> Firefox extension that does what Net Snippets does.  If I had enough free
> time I would look into it...

It's Java Runtime Environment. Give it time. It's where all the hype is
headed.

>> I personally use grabbers a lot. In fact, I get all my music without
>> _any_ manual intervention. A grabber spiders using HTTP overnight and
>> gets me the
>> latest stuff, which resides on Web servers, i.e. people's Web sites (no
>> P2P
>> involved). This makes me merely one who downloads files, so I'm clean!
>
> I wish I could write that kind of stuff  :)
> Does it find good music?

Depends on what sites it's aimed at as a starting point. At the moment (as
those sites are volatile) I select sites from this Wiki:

http://wiki.monkeyfilter.com/index.php?title=MP3_Blog_Listing

If you have a modern Mac or _nix box, see entry below:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/10/music-obscurity/

This latest items points to some older ones. If you use Windows, you can
'hand-pick' the MP3's instead of recurse and dispose.