Re: Nokia and Open Source

__/ [Andres  Baravalle] on Monday 12 December 2005 12:10 \__

> Hi,
> I have seen (many times) reference in the press to Nokia's open source
> projects. The web site http://opensource.nokia.com/ lists some
> projects, but I could not find any code released.
>
> Does anyone knows if they are just developing on the top of open source
> projects, or if they are actually releasing open source software?
>
> Thanks,
>    Andres

I wondered the same thing myself. The Nokia 770 has adopted Debian to create
a mobile operating system that is quite nifty. However, to what extent will
it be available for others to use? Will it require a licence to be purchased
from Nokia? And if so, how legal/ethical is that? I don't know the answer,
but this sounds like Google to me.

http://code.google.com/

Don't get your hopes up. They primarily give API-related code. You can't
penetrate their valuable bits of code.