Re: Best way to specify font size

__/ [Els] on Monday 12 December 2005 07:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [Els] on Sunday 11 December 2005 18:54 \__

>>> What's the pain in using %?
>>> Just set 100% for <body> (the "base" size), and then use other
>>> percentages like 85% for small print and 120% for headings, etc.
>>> Those are indeed relative to the percentage set for the <body>.
>>
>> Overall, this probably depends on the page in question. There are cases
>> where the font size should be relative to the screen/window size. In such
>> circumstances, 'em' should be used. It takes an example to give a proper
>> answer, in my humble opinion.
>
> It also takes an example to explain how 'em' is relative to
> screen/window size and % isn't.

I believe that this argument will be meaningless to development which is
Internet Explorer-centric:

http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/1439

As far as I can gather, em gives a great deal of power. I have just tried
some pages of mine under Opera (which I know you advocate) to reveal some
unpleasant interpretations of the source. Overall, Opera at its present
seems excellent so I am glad I took your word.