Re: Which cpu to go for?

__/ [Dennis Pogson] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 23:04 \__

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/ind
> ex.html
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=2221&tag=nl.e539
>>>
>>> Are you looking for performance? Low cost? What will you run? What
>>> will the demand be? What is the nature of the programs you will run?
>>> There is no single answer unless you give more details.
>>>
>>> Hope it helps and best wishes,
>>>
>>> Roy
>> Well the most demanding task i think i might ever do is some low level
>> video editing using adobe premiere 6 or similar and then burning the
>> output to a DVD. I suspect that the Centrino tag is all just mainly
>> marketing and that although the pentium M cpu may have a slight
>> edge,maybe its not that much more powerful than the celeron non
>> centrino M processor?. Trouble is,i just need some further info to
>> confirm my suspicions before i spend on a celeron M laptop!.
>>

>> Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email
>>
>> http://www.no2id.org/
>
> The Celeron processor in my Toshiba A60 laptop is painfully slow, even
> compared to a Pentium 3/500mhz  processor. You have been warned!

I  have  a Celeron processor (2.2 GHz) running alongside 256MB of  RAM  at
home. It drives KDE, which is known to be a resource hog. Yet, the operat-
ing system is very responsive. If I enable fancy bits like fade-in/out ef-
fects, shadows and window translucency, that power is gone, but these ele-
ments are notorious CPU murders. If you typically view and edit individual
frames of a film, I suspect you will need a lot of memory, not a high-per-
formance CPU.

Speaking from experience, people buy processors that are far stronger than
necessary.   These  processors  are  often  crippled  by  plagued  Windows
Registries.  In  other occasions, they compensate for  unavailable  memory
and/or programs that are badly (inefficiently) built.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 10:00am  up 10 days 17:11,  6 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.43, 0.46