Re: Google confirms $1bn stake in AOL

__/ [T.J.] on Wednesday 21 December 2005 12:53 \__

> [...]
>
>> Speaking of Yahoo, what about TypePad, (as of yesterday) WordPress or even
>> acquisitions like del.icio.us, Flickr, and Geocities. A quick Web search
>> also helped discover the following:
>>
>>    * RocketMail
>>    * eGroups
>>    * OddPost
>>    * Overture
>>    * Launch
>>    * ViaWeb
>>
>> I'm sure they acquired another company recently, but I can't recall its
>> name.
>>
>> Google are no exception:
>>
>> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/6/12/143721/743
>>
>> It's almost as though every start-up has its success measured by its
>> ability
>> to get absorbed. ICQ (Mirabilis) were devoured by AOL many years ago. All
>> instant messengers are bound to giants, let alone information vendors.
>>
>> Roy
>
> *Upcoming.org
>
> Wonder how long before craiglist goes the same way?
> eBay already have 25% of it.

Microsoft and Google have gone in the classified ads direction. Notice that
Craigslist is no longer a non-profit site:

<quote>
  Q: Is craigslist a nonprofit?
  A: No, craigslist was incorporated as a for-profit in 1999*.
</quote>

http://manchester.craigslist.org/about/pr/factsheet.html (one among many
mirrors)

*That's 4 years after it came into existence.

Roy

http://wordpress.org/development/2005/12/wordpress-on-yahoo/

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  2:20pm  up 10 days 21:31,  6 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.35, 0.19