Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux

  • Subject: Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux
  • From: "J.O. Aho" <user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:40:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.linux
philo wrote:

> Yes I used to run RH6 with Gnome on a p-200 with 40 megs of ram...

Gnome ain't as bloated as Gnome2, which you get with todays distros, Gnome2
would make that P200 to go down to it's bare knees and a constant swapping as
memory wouldn't be enough. But Gnome vs twm+gnomelibs you would have noticed a
good difference in response on that installation.

> of course running a server may not even require a gui at all

Running server on a low speced machine, then don't run X at all, it do eat to
much CPU and RAM. One thing is to have X installed and only start it when you
need to configure something and you need the GUI tools as you don't master the
configuration file editing. But there are other solutions like using webadmin
and manage most of the configurations through a web interface and you can save
space on that harddrive by not even installing X.

 //Aho