Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux

  • Subject: Re: Reviving old Pentium 133 to run Linux
  • From: "J.O. Aho" <user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:34:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.linux
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> If you require no responsiveness, e.g. setting up a Web server or a machine
> to run jobs alongside another desktop machine with a different O/S, then
> GNOME/KDE might be OK. I had Mandrake on a machine with similar specs and I
> was using it for the GIMP on occasions. I copied the outputs to a floppy and
> shipped it to a Mac or Windows.

This will be quite slow, specially on systems with low amount of RAM (as most
of those P1 133-266 that are around used to some small tasks), first you have
X that will take a good share and then a heavy desktop on top of that.

It's far better to use a light weight WM and install kdelibs and gnomelibs,
this will allow to use applications like GIMP or KDevelop without the whole
system is donw on it knees. This is more and more true the later version you
have of KDE or Gnome2 installed.

 //Aho