Re: contact or mail or email or phone or fax or tel site ...

__/ [Dustin] on Saturday 24 December 2005 13:09 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Antipodean Bucket Farmer] on Thursday 22 December 2005 21:36 \__
>>

>>>In article <IemdnTBzFrnSCDfeRVn-ig@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>>dustin.davis@xxxxxxxxx says...

>>>Sounds legitimate.  They may want to know who owns the
>>>site, but don't know how to find a whois search.
>>>
>>>When spammers are looking for abuse-opportunities, they
>>>will request certain filenames.  There will be a scan
>>>for common/default .cgi and .html files related to
>>>form-mail, BBSs/forums, Tell-A-Friend, etc.  I think
>>>that there may also be some specifically M$ IIS
>>>features, which may be randomly requested even if you
>>>are really on *nix/Apache.
>>>
>>>The requests won't come through a search engine,
>>>though.  Their scanner will just use your domain plus a
>>>list of standard paths.
>>>
>>>BTW, I tried to view your site a couple times, but it
>>>made Mozilla crash.  Maybe that is why people want to
>>>contact you?
>>

>> Good  point, but neither Mozilla nor Firefox seem to crash when I open the
>> front page ( http://www.nerdlance.com/ ). A few days ago I contacted some-
>> one  whose  popular site made Firefox crash (tried from different  comput-
>> ers).  I had to guess the E-mail address, which I fortunately I did right.
>> It bounced after the first guess though. Got it right the second time.
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Well I have a contact form link at the bottom of every page. Is that not
> obvious enough?

Explicit  form?  That'll invite spam in due time. The level of daily  spam
will  grow  linearly (some would say exponentially) if you put it in  each
page  rather than link to a central contact page. Also, what if you needed
to  change  your E-mail address? Change and replace applied to all  files?
Duplication  is not recommended unless you use Server Side Includes  (SSI)
to append a footer.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  3:20pm  up 13 days 22:31,  11 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.48, 0.53