Re: hundreds of images download a little slow

  • Subject: Re: hundreds of images download a little slow
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:47:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
windandwaves wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> cve1ir$1sk7$3@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:cve1ir$1sk7$3@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> windandwaves wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folk
>>>
>>> I have a page with about 300 images.   All of them are very small (they
>>> total about 40Kb).
>>>
>>> However, they do seem to take a while to download (Firebox seems to be
>>> doing one at the time).
>>>
>>> Is there anyway I can speed up this process?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> - Nicolaas
>>
>> Enable pipelining.
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20453
>>
>> --
>
> Thank you Roy, that is allright for the user, by I am the administrator,
> the person making the site and I can not tell the world to download
> FireFox and start pipelining just for my one little silly page.
>
> Is there something you can do on the server, with php or perhaps
> JavaScript?

I realised that you were the administrator, but I thought it was a private
page of yours, e.g. a portal.

What's the URL? Are you sure you can't combine the (/some of the) images to
make larger 'chunks'? If your page contains 300+ elements (essentially hits
too), no wonder it takes a long time to long. Can you imagine the mess this
inflicts upon cache? And the size of the log on the Web server?

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com