Re: Automatik Screenshots of Websites

  • Subject: Re: Automatik Screenshots of Websites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 06:06:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Richard wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 +0100 Matthias Pospiech wrote:
>
>> I would like to include to every Link a small picture of the website.
>> Like for example on http://gnuhaus.com/web.html
>> but mabe with smaller images.
>
>> Any idea how that could be done automatically ? Is there a tool for
>> such
>> thing already ?
>
>> Matthias
>

> I was just wondering.
> How are you going to capture a view of the entire page if the page is
> bigger than your screen size?
>
> How about?
> http://www.fox-magic.com/mc_gb/web_page_capture.html
> So so. I've fooled around with it and it's nothing more than any basic
> screen capture with a couple of twists.
>
> The probllem with any capturing program, is that is mostly limited to what
> is seen on the screen.
>
> You would have to have a program that captured the entire page as is
> before you could make an image of it.
> I don't believe there is a stand alone program that can do that.

I personally use 'import' under Linux and then put the pieces together.
Unless you do that task on a very frequent basis, it should be fine. I use
the GIMP to do all the merging. The same goes for Print Screen and Paint,
for example, under Window$.

A program that takes a shot of the entire page has to be quite cunning. It
needs to fetch data that is not in the frame buffer and is stored in one
form of another in RAM (or disk swap) by an arbitrary application. Maybe
Firefox has some extension that handles the task?

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com