Re: RedHat - SuSE recomendation

  • Subject: Re: RedHat - SuSE recomendation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:13:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.setup
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup, uk.comp.os.linux
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> "chabral" <chabral@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>    We're planning to buy an Enterprise distribution to install and run a
>> corporate Informix database (200+ users). The question is about which
>> distro
>> should we buy: SuSE Enterprise Server or RedHat Enterprise Server ES. If
>> you
>> have any recomendation or experience, it will be really apreciated.
>>    Thanks in advance,
>
> I find SuSE painful in the extreme. They're stable, and their releases are
> long-supported (guaranteed something like 7 years), but if you're still
> running the same enterprise hardware in 4 years you're probably doing
> something wrong. RHES is also corporate stable. But if you need to be
> cheap and use something based on a corporate enterprise server and not pay
> the support costs of the enterprise licenses, take a look at
> http://www.whiteboxlinux.org.
>
> You also need to look at what works with your available hardware, of
> course.

I use Fedora Core 2 (RH-based) in one place and SuSE 8.2 in the other. I
prefer SuSE, but this might be because I have used it more often than
Fedora. Maybe I was not truly _inclined_ to use it.

The bottom line is SuSE. For peace of mind also subscribe to
alt.cs.linux.suse.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com