Re: Q: do muscles more generate more heat day after workout?

  • Subject: Re: Q: do muscles more generate more heat day after workout?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:50:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.fitness.weights
jP wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just started working out with after more than 15 years.  So far,
> I'm doing a basic major exercise routine every other day for about an
> hour per workout, legs, arms, back/shoulders, chest all included in that
> single workout.
>
> Durning the first week, I had the expected soreness.  That went away
> (thankfully) the second week.
>
> Three weeks later, I am noticing that the muscles seem to be sort of
> warmer than usual, even on my non-workout days.   They seem to be
> slightly radiating more heat all the time.
>
> What is the cause of this?   It is not painful or unpleasent.  My guess
> right now is that it might be thermal energy released by the body
> repairing itself.  Is that the case?

What you describe is unusual as I have never heard similar stories before.
Surely enough, the body will warm up significantly after (as well as
during) a workout session. That, as a matter of fact, is the reason why you
are likely to sweat following a workout, even after showering. The body
exerts its heat which accumulates due to high activity inside the muscles.
Likewise, if you are unused to working out on a regular basis, your muscles
will be affected for longer periods of time. You might expect them to make
you feel warmer.

More points to ponder: are you eating differently? Has the weather or
clothing changed? Have you been exposed to the sun more often then before?
The body repearing itself is a process that, in my opinion, will not
release much thermal energy. Soreness is more likely to be a cause for
that.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com