Re: Prevent User From Changing Font Size in FireFox

  • Subject: Re: Prevent User From Changing Font Size in FireFox
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:53:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
crjunk@earthlink.net wrote:

> First, let me say that I know that doing something like preventing the
> user from changing the font size is never a good thing from a usability
> standpoint.
>
> Let me explain why I'm trying to do this.  I'm trying to recreate an
> online payment invoice that looks very similar to the hard copy invoice
> we mail out to our customers.  The user will be able to print out this
> invoice from their web browser and mail it in along with their payment.
>  The web browser printout needs to be similar in size to the invoice we
> mail out.  I would prefer to create the invoice as a PDF for the user,
> but because of deadline time constraints, I do not have this luxury.
>
> I have found examples on how to limit the size of text in IE, but this
> solution does not work in FireFox.  Is there a way to "lock" the size
> of text in Fireox?
>
> Thanks,
> CR Junk

I don't think you can do that and I think you must never force fonts to have
a fixed size. This will stir up an outrage among people whose sight is
poorer than yours. Some seniors I know prefer Firefox because of the
powerful font scaling support (SHIFT accelarator and CTRL+-). Firefox gives
them the 'power' to read pages even when the Web developer is overly
adamant.

If you want to generate PDF's on-to-fly, you have a flexible package that
you can use. It took me only an hour or two to make an HTML->PDF feature
work.

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/12/wordpress-and-pdf/

The package is widely used in the Open Source community. Since you can never
fight a browser that puts the user in control, you may wish to just add a
friendly warning that discourages users from changing the default font
size. Also don't forget that pages will be rendered differently on
different platforms, browsers and devices.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com