Re: Forgotten root password

houghi <houghi@houghi.org.invalid> writes:

>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> houghi wrote:
>>
>>> I know it has been asked before and here the solution from Novell.
>>>
>>> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/15629.html
>>>
>>> Cool Solutions have more neat things to check out and/or try.
>>
>> They must have made it a possibility because some users were negligent
>> enough as to forget the root password.

>If you mean with `they` SUSE, then you are wrong. This has been always
>possible. When you have physical access to the machine you will be able
>to turn off the root password.

Well, no. You can password lilo, so that you cannot boot to single user
without the password. You can password the bios so that you cannot boot
from anything botu the hard disk without the password.
Now, in the latter case, you can by opening the case and setting jumpers,
get rid of that bios password, but it requires not only physical access but
actually opening the thing. To guard against that put in an encrypted
filesystem.