Re: Case Insensitivity Issues

  • Subject: Re: Case Insensitivity Issues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:20:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
Brian Cryer wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> dca0cs$2tv0$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:dca0cs$2tv0$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>>
>> That's an interesting possibility, but I looked at the logs and I suspect
>> it
>> comes from Google as referrals. I will recheck because I suspect you
>> might be right. If people copy-and-paste addresses though, it is unlikely
>> that conversion to lowercase will be involved.
>>
>> Roy
>
> I think (but I'm no expert, so I may be wrong) that Google is case
> sensitive. For example it has www.schestowitz.com/Weblog/ in its index -
> note the capital W.

Yes, but not Google is to be blamed. User who follow Google SERP's are
equipped with naive browsers.

> I can quite believe that some other search engines might be case
> insensitive - being overly used to Windows now I can understand its a
> mistake easy enough to make.

I caught MSNBot doing it...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/12/msnbot-fights-linux-servers/

> Have you always used an initial capital letter or is it a change you
> introduced?

It's just me making a poor choice (driven by preference) in the early days.
I never realised the future implications. If I have no colours in the
shell, this helps discern files from directories and always lists
directories at the top (uppercase precedes lowercase in ASCII).

> It would be worth rechecking you logs to be sure about where your bad
> referrals are coming from.

I keep doing it. Often the IP address cannot be interpreted using reverse
DNS lookup. I once spotted Lynx as the user agent, but in general
investigating each individual error like this is relatively time-consuming
(~2 minutes) process and you need a decent sample size to come up with
conclusions.