Mark Parnell wrote:

> Previously in alt.www.webmaster, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> said:
>
>> Two things I forgot to mention:
>>
>> Do .htaccess file support wildcards?
>
> Yes.

Excellent!

>> If so, to what extent?
>
> Not sure how to quantify that. Check the docs for proper details.

Just have. Thanks for the link.

>> If I have a URL's like:
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/weblog/archives/2005/07/28/inbox-management/
>> (broken) http://schestowitz.com/weblog/archives/2005/07/27/inkscape-gimp/
>> (broken)
>>
>> Can I write a single rule that will replace '/weblog/' with '/Weblog'?
>
> RedirectPermanent /weblog /Weblog
>
> Any sub-directories or files are automatically tacked on to the end.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect

Making changes to the .htaccess file directly causes cPanel to overwrite
everything, as usual. Giving up on the front-end altogether is a shame.

/However/, I have just decided to take that little step. Embedding the line
you offered at the top resulted in 500 errors - Internal server error,
which I very quickly fixed by reverting to the old version. Apparently it
won't do... *frown*

>> Also, regarding bad incoming links, it is rather unlikely because the
>> errors are quite random, referring to different pages all the time. This
>> has gone on and one for almost a year and as time goes on I get more of
>> these 404's, which is overwhelming.
>
> Fair enough. Just one theory. :-)

Thanks very much Mark. I'll have another look at your advice and retry.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com