Re: Have you ever asked : Why do i want to be an Atheist ???

  • Subject: Re: Have you ever asked : Why do i want to be an Atheist ???
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:47:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
>> The Atheist Test
>> Address:http://quo.cc/atheist.htm
>
> Hello It Is Dave.  We haven't seen you for a while.
>
> On previous encounters I reminded you that Darwininians fully
> acknowledge the complex design readily apparent in life.  We just
> explain it without resorting to a mindful designer.
>
> So you see, pointing out the complex design apparent in life does
> nothing to challenge my atheism.  You have been told this many times.
> I'm confident that the author of the website you mention has been told
> this many times, and I'm also confident that the author of the book upon
> which the website claims to be based has been told this many times.
>
> I will tell you again, Darwinism doesn't deny the complex design
> apparent in life, it explains it.  You may dispute the explanation if
> you wish, but we all agree that life exhibits complex design.
>
> So why do creationists continue to pretend that we don't acknowledge
> complex design?  Why do y'all continue to challenge a belief that we
> don't hold?  Are you deaf?

It is a case of self-persuasion and self-pleasing. For the religious folk,
the more complex the design appears, to less likely science is to explain
it. By introducing extra, artificial levels of complexity, the religious
preacher will require you to explain Darwinism (or the Big Bang for the
sake of this argument) at a lower level of granularity. If you are unable
to do so, as often may be the case if the conversation is verbal, the
religious side will feel victorious.