Re: Kurzweil on Robotics

AaronJ wrote:

> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I ended up taking a class in college where we basically spent
>> 75% of a semester discussing whether uploading your
>> consciousness into a robot can happen or not.
>>
>>My conclusion was that we won't know for sure until we try,
>
> Even if you are successful no one but *you* will know for sure. Another
> possibility could be that your consciousness was killed and the robot is
> imitating you so well that everyone thinks it's you...

Now it's just becoming confusing. I never said I agreed with Kurzweil. I
think it's wishful thinking from an aging man. I even expressed that
skepticism (
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/25/kurzweil-on-longevity/ )
last week. He did not make any proper prediction. The ideas which drive the
Web were already explained in the 40's or 50's and technology was bound to
reach a point where the Web becomes practicable. As for Chess, it is about
as astounding and significant as people on steroids and needles hoisting
heavy loads these days.