Re: Do I want a smartphone or a PDA?

  • Subject: Re: Do I want a smartphone or a PDA?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:56:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Harlan Lachman wrote:

> In article <2b2q91tdal0ivuc6egcvtqri43bev2t8q6@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> wrote:
>
>> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>> phone.
>>
>> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>> them.
>>
>> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>>
>> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
>
> A person should keep them separate if one wants to carry two devices.
>
> I love my Kyocera 7135. Had to replace one that went overboard.
>
> One device to sync. One charger to carry, One device to remember where
> it is. All my phone contacts and schedule with my phone. The ability to
> bring along a folding keyboard and work for hours on a plane.
>
> As the other poster states, there will always be features you want that
> are not included with those you need -- unless you invent your own
> smartphone.
>
> harlan

I used to keep the two separate (to be honest, no integration was available
at the time) and I now have no cellular phone. In my case, it just became
quite unnecessary.

My experience has taught me that it is valuable, as was said already, to
have one charger, one bulgy object in your pocket plus the ability to
combine the power of both. Imagine yourself what a nuisance it is to enter
address book entries without a keyboard or a stylus... or write an E-mail
and later synchronise to send it...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com