Re: Why worry about endings but not about beginnings?

  • Subject: Re: Why worry about endings but not about beginnings?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 05:11:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
Lance wrote:

> Many people are deeply troubled about the fact that they will one day
> die. Lucretius asked the question: Why are we worried about coming to an
> end but not about having had a beginning?
>
> Any answers?

This is a very philosophical question which doesn't concern religion (or
conversely atheism) in any obvious sense.

I think it's a matter of consciousness. People have no recollection of their
beginning and yet they approach the end day by day. By nature, or perhaps
logically speaking, people concentrate on their present and future. The
past is immutable.

Why be worried about coming to an end? Because thoughts come to end; because
existence is no more. Throughout our entire lifetime we get accustomed to
that perpetual trail of thoughts. For the first time in our 'life', it all
comes to an end. If one thinks of the 'beginning',maybe there's place for
solace. At death we reach that very same point as before we had been
conceived.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com