Re: Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI

  • Subject: Re: Handling passworded ZIP files using GUI
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:07:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Larry I Smith wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>> Under Windows I've used WinZip for a long time to handle a number of
>> large
>> ZIP files which are passworded.  On Linux I tried the Ark utility which
>> was installed as part of the Mandrake Linux installation.
>>
>> While Ark is a fine product it does not appear to cater for passworded
>> archives. If a newer version of Ark does this could someone please give
>> me the relevant information - I have version 2.1.9
>>
>> Can someone tell me about a good *GUI-based* archiving utilty whoch
>> *does* cater for passwording?
>>
>> BTW, I use Mandrake Linux 10.0 [KDE 3.2] on a P4 computer with 512MB
>> memory.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>         Rob.
>
> I don't know of any GUI, but the Linux versions of 'zip' and 'unzip'
> are included with most Linux distros.  They are commandline tools.
>
> Larry

I used to be running Ark by default to handle any type of archive (SuSE had
this associations binding). I soon realised it was badly implemented, slow,
and could be replaced by the simple, flexible command-line tool. I could
use it just happily as I did with DOS (pkunzip) many years ago. Never try
to use Ark for archives with ~10,000 files. It would knock your O/S over.
Killing the process is of no use because it replicates itself.

I had problems with password-protected ZIP files before. Ark just does not
handle them. Having just taken Larry's advice, I tried unzip and indeed it
prompted me for the password. So, he you solved the problem of at least 2
people.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com