Re: Microsoft Word

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Word
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:00:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
Brian G wrote:

> Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
>> I will never hear another bad word spoken about Microsoft*.
>>
>> I was writing an important piece in Word. I'd very nearly finished it
>> when for some reason we had a two minute power cut. After reeling
>> around cursing and swearing I decided to take to the garden to try to
>> remember the exact wording. After failing miserably I fired up Word
>> again and, bless it, it had saved it for me and there it was in front
>> of me ready to carry on.
>>
>> I love Word :o)
>>
>> Si
>>
>> *Up to a point, of course.
>
> Moral of that story..........press Control+S every few seconds as you are
> working and you will save the work to your required location, thus
> preventing the odd swear word - from one who has learned the 'hard way'
> :-)

I must add that almost any Word processing tool (e.g. LyX, OpenOffice.org)
will dump temporary files periodically. The intersting fact is that some
people fail to realise it and even _skip_ on that chance to rescue a lost
document. There is usually an option for changing the parameter which
defines the interval between data dumps. The longer the document, the
smaller this value should be, but it also depends on the capacity of your
computer.

Brian correctly pointed out that the CTRL+S accelerator should be used. It
is painless to do on the keyboard becomes instinctive after a while. Having
said that, you are never immune to hard-drive failure so also consider
saving documents on a remote FTP server.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com