Re: This ought to help getting more OSS compatible websites open

  • Subject: Re: This ought to help getting more OSS compatible websites open
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:15:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Buzzbomb wrote:

> Stephen Patterson wrote:
>>
>> [ and the first couple of paragraphs ]
>>
>> Websites alienate Firefox users
>>
>> One in 10 UK websites fail to work properly on the open source Firefox
>> web browser, a study shows.
>>
>> Some 100 leading consumer sites were assessed by web-testing firm
>> SciVisum.
>>
>> Websites that proved difficult for Firefox users to navigate included
>> the government website Jobcentreplus.gov.uk and the cinema site
>> Odeon.co.uk.
>>
> odious.co.uk has been broken forever. Its a pisspoor site even if you
> use IE. Its one of those "clever" sites designed (and I use the word in
> is loosest possible sense) by some graphic designer with his head so far
> up his a**e he can see the inside of his own dentures with not even a
> nod to basic usability.
> Anytime you email to complain (and I have done) you get a message saying
> the site is being redesigned. Apparently this same message has been in
> place for several years.
>
> I recall a new story a while back (possibly theregister.co.uk) about a
> web designer who got so pissed off with the odeon site, and with
> complaing to odeon, that he wrote his own to show how it should be done.
> It even fronted odeon's own ticket ordering process. After a couple of
> years sucessfull and reliable operation he was forced to take it down by
> odeon's marketing dept 'cos it affected their brand image (they didn't
> want anybody to highlight what a bunch of complete w*****s they are).
>
> I don't go to Odeon anymore, I go to Warner - not because I object to
> having to use IE (which I do as it happens), but because I got a silly
> lie in response a legit query.
>
> <rant over>
>
> B.

It is one thing when commercial sites like Odeon fail to deliver. I can
recall that annoying drop-down box after drop-down box interface. I used it
back in the days when tolerated bad sites and used IE, which by the way
suffered from design and usability more than anything else.

When a site like the Royal Mail fails to be fully-compliant, that becomes
another issue. I compained about it using the Web form. I received a reply
from the people who read feedback, who then forwarded my words to the IT
division and promised a response. I never heard a thing thereafter, but
enough such complaints would have an impact.