Re: Palm, Windows and Free Applications

  • Subject: Re: Palm, Windows and Free Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:38:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Mousetater wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> d9mark$n3f$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:d9mark$n3f$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> Mousetater wrote:
>>
>> > Really sold on the LifeDrive. Plan on getting one soon. Having never
> owned
>> > a PDA, can anyone give me good reason to go with a Windows Mobile
> device,
>> > like an IPAQ, rather than the awesome lifdrive?? Software?? Quirks??
>> > Thanks
>>

>> A LifeDrive has its pros:
>>
>>         - Valuable to those in need of high volume of storage, most
> commonly for
>> media.
>>
>>         - Reliable, stable operating system, i.e. rarely needs a reset
>>
>>         - Instant access to applications (assuming you put them in
>>         memory)
> and a
>> very responsive interface. A wise guy once said "in WinCE the user waits
>> for the device, with Palm the device waits for the user".
>>
>>         - Overall simplicity
>>
>>         - A wide range of free applications
>>
>>         - Interoperability, e.g. will you use a Mac or Linux box in the
> future?
>>

>> A 'mini-Windows' PDA has its pros too:
>>
>>         - As many people use Windows (I will not go into the argument of
> whether it
>> is wise or not), the Mobile PC environment offers a softer transition,
>> arguably
>>
>>         - High-resolution screens (VGA), which are available with some of
> the
>> latest models
>>
>>         - Price is sometimes tempting
>>
>>         - Media integration, movies in particular, is sometimes superior
>>

>> Roy
>
> "   - A wide range of free applications"  tell  or link me to more info
> bout this.

There was a small argument a while back when the majority spoke about the
openness of Palm and how it encourages developers from all over the world
to develop for Palm, for free. I think this argument was in a more
augmented newsgroup than this one. There was just one guy who argued that
Windows has some free applications too.

If you are familiar with the world of Linux, you'll know that a Fedora/SuSE
user, for example, is getting a free operating system with 4 GB of programs
with the base operating system and a countless number of rich applications
to download. Palm likewise.

Any application you can think of is out there for Palm, probably for free.
You name it, it's out there. See, for example:

http://freewarepalm.com/

http://www.palmpilotarchives.com/

http://www.palmgear.com/

I haven't got the count of applications, but there must be many thousands.

So, the bill for the PDA is deceiving. In due time you will either lack
functionalities you must have or waste your savings.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com