Re: God takes care of His own - at Wimbledon

  • Subject: Re: God takes care of His own - at Wimbledon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:23:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.atheism,uk.philosophy.atheism
  • Newsgroups: alt.atheism, uk.philosophy.atheism
altheim wrote:

> As you are sure to know, if you are reading this in the UK,
> we are nearing the end of Wimbledon fortnight (that is tennis
> to US ignoramusses) and today (Tuesday) was the Ladies
> quarter finals. Among the qualifiers was Venus Williams
> (Serena was knocked out earlier in the tournament). During
> a break, one of the BBC presenters interviewed Richard
> Williams, Venus's father. He remarked that tennis was not
> the most important thing in the Williams household (yeah right).
> "What is the most important thing then"?, the interviewer asked.
>
> "God, Jehova is No. 1"
>
> If an English person said that s/he'd get funny looks.

I am not entirely sure that's true. If someone said that to me, I would
definitely not mind. So why would a more observant person respond with a
funny look?

In this particular case I might say "whatever rocks your boat". The response
is different, however, depending on the context. God as a tennis supporter
is not a God for guidance in a warzone.