Re: Domain extensions

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:25:03 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>Mark & Ana Jones wrote:
>> A neighbour of mine has a new website displayed on his van (but not on the
>> web!). It is a .org.uk domain rather than a .co.uk or a dot com which is
>> the usual practice.
>> I was under the impression that dot Org's were for "Organisations" -
>> usually non-profit making etc and not businesses. Can anyone shed any
>> light on my assumptions please.
>Domain suffixes are intended to bring order to the Web, but unfortunately
>they are not being forced. '.org' is reserved for non-profit organisations
>so your assumption was correct.
>Here are a few examples of discrepancies I am aware of:
>http://mookitty.co.uk/ - I am pretty sure that gal is from Arkansas.
>boren.nu - The guy is from Dallas, definitely not from tiny Niue.
>I don't know who forces suffixes (if anyone). I think domain registrars only
>want the revenue and will not go to great lengths and become stern w.r.t.
>domain names.
Roy, Mark & Ana

The org.uk _should_ be as Mark & Ana suggest, but the .org is wide open (My
personal site is a .org [www.rcole.org] because the .com & .net had already
gone, although .net is supposed to be restricted to ISPs).

There are some different registration requirements with .org against .co.uk
which you will see if you do a WhoIs lookup [http://www.samspade.org/t/].

Richard
pnenina@epbyr.bet (ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
'My lord, I cannot ride!' For the first time that morning Lord Felmet
smiled. 'Capital!' he said. 'We will give you a horse that can't be