Re: Domain extensions

  • Subject: Re: Domain extensions
  • From: Marcus Houlden <spam@nukesoft.co.uk>
  • Date: 13 Mar 2005 18:46:27 GMT
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:26:33 -0000, Mark & Ana Jones <mark@SPAMGAURDatholmarketing.com>
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

> Can anybody please tell me or point me in the right direction:-
>
> A neighbour of mine has a new website displayed on his van (but not on the
> web!). It is a .org.uk domain rather than a .co.uk or a dot com which is the
> usual practice.
>
> I was under the impression that dot Org's were for "Organisations" - usually
> non-profit making etc and not businesses. Can anyone shed any light on my
> assumptions please.

The official rules for .org.uk are at
http://www.nic.uk/SecondLevelDomains/AboutSecondLevelDomains/orguk/ and
essentially they're for organizations that don't fit into any other
category. co.uk and .org.uk are open to anyone.

Other .uk domains are:

.ac.uk - assigned by UKERNA and only for academic institutions
(http://www.ja.net/documents/naming/names_ac_gov.html)

.gov.uk - also assigned by UKERNA and strictly controlled.

parliament.uk - no-one knows who is responsible for this. The domain was
registered before Nominet was founded and neither ICANN nor IANA have any
responsibility for .uk domains
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/02/07/parliament_ceases_to_exist/)

mod.uk - Ministry of Defence use only
plc.uk - PLCs only. The domain name must match the name registered with
Companies House
ltd.uk - Ltd companies only. The same rules apply as to plc.uk
sch.uk - schools only
nhs.uk - NHS use only
bl.uk - the British Library
police.uk - police use only
net.uk - ISPs only
me.uk - personal use for "natural persons" only

There are a few other .uk addresses, mainly used by libraries and academic
institutions before the current system evolved.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

"If you don't vote, you get morons in charge."
 - Maurice Chavez (GTA Vice City)