Re: Domain extensions

On 16/03/2005 05:02 Roy Schestowitz gurgled:

Parish wrote:

Speaking of Nominet's controversial actions, have a look at what they
just did:

http://go.theregister.com/feed/2005/03/15/itunes_domain_case/

That's disgraceful! But it's just as bad in the US. Go to http://www.nissan.com/ and read the ridiculous story of that domain. Also, the BBC were unable to do in the US what Apple have done here when they tried to get bbc.com - although they now seem to have it (must find out about how).

Parish

So, provided that these are the rules of the game, somebody could establish a car manufacturing business called... "Slashdot"... and assuming that the business grows, slashdot.org can then be transferred (regardless of who was there first) along with its traffic.

As for the BBC, I bet they paid some big $$. Imagine how many people a day
enter bbc.com instead of bbc.co.uk. Many people I know don't even use their
bookmarks.

£200k according to this http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cyber/archive/tw-477.html

Going back to the article in The Register, I hope that Apple ultimately lose that battle because it conflicts with the case law (phones4u) cited in the article and Apple have a "branding scheme" of perpending 'i' to any word which potentially could be anything in the future.

Parish