Re: KNode - 'fragmented views'?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> I use an even older version. KNode is still one of my favourite K
> applications. Look forward to hearing how you solved the problem...

Well, what (seems to have) caused it in the first place?:
The 'up' arrow of the article pane scroll bar is located just below the
small
'detach'-field, and once the 'detach'-x is accidentally clicked upon, the
article pane breaks loose - and is HARD to dock again!

The cure:
I didn't 'invent' it myself - I received an email from Matt Gibson:

"
People get this every now and again ;-)  This may help, it's an article I
wrote here in January 2003!

Cheers,

Matt

[Original article follows]
luxomni wrote:

> No, I am not making my request clear enough I think. I am not trying to
> just drop them on top of each other. When I originally set up the system
> they were docked in one window. Now they are multiple windows which I
> ordinarily prefer - but for this one application I wish they were one
> again (so they can be minimized and restored as a unit. ;-) I tried
> editing the rc file, but that didn't help and I don't have a command in
> settings in this program to match what you suggested (origin Slackware
> 8.1)

I've just had a play about, and I think I see what you mean.  I never knew
you could organize the windows so many ways!  And it's quite hard to see
how to swap between the tabbed-view mode, the split-view mode and the
separate window mode until you stumble across how to do it.

To try to clear things up, here's what I've found (using KNode 0.7.1 on KDE
3.0.4):

1) The default view is split view.  From here, you can switch to different
view modes entirely by dragging and dropping; you can't do it with menu
options, as far as I can see.

2) The way to change the modes involved dragging and dropping the windows to
new locations by using the little tiny title bar above each window (with
the miniature box and cross icons on the right hand side; this may depend
on your KDE style)

3) To make a view where two windows are combinend into a single window with
a "tab" style control at the top, pick one window up and drag it into the
centre of the other window.  Before you drop, you should see the "proposed
layout" shadow box appearing in the centre of the other window.

4) To make one of the views into a completely separate window, drag it
completely off the main KNode application window.  You might need to shrink
down the KNode window quite small before you can do this.  Once you've done
this, you can return it to being part of the main view by clicking the new
little arrow icon that appears at the right-hand end of its mini-title-bar
(not the main title bar.)  Or, you can drag it back onto the main KNode
window.  You have to leave one of the view windows in the main application
window -- once you're down to one view in there, its little mini-title-bar
disappears, and you can't hide the view, either.

NB: All this dragging seems sometimes to depend on the window that you're
dragging being smaller than the window it's being dropped on, otherwise it
doesn't work, so you may need to resize the windows you're playing with
first.  And remember that all dragging to reconfigure has to be done using
the little mini-title-bar thingy with the tiny little icons at the side,
not using the main title bar -- maybe this it what you're missing,
luxomni?  Or does your view window not have one of these bars, for some
strange reason?"

I attempted to follow the instructions, and with some success - but the
panes 'joined vertically', so that I got the Group View just below the tool
bar, headers below that, and articles at the bottom - so I wrote Matt
again, and he kindly sent these supplementary instructions:

"Do you mean they're stacked one on top of the other?  If so, maximise
KNode.
Then drag the Group View pane over to the left hand side, and towards the
bottom of the screen.  You should see the "drop target" outline change to a
vertical aspect.  Drop it there.  You may need to slide the top two windows
up somewhat first, so you've got enough room to drop the window where it
wants to be."

And after much trial (and error) I finally got everything back in place -
and from now on I'm very careful when I have my cursor in the vicinity of
those tiny 'x'es! :))

--
Regards,
Hans