Re: Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Sugapablo wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, while checking on a site I was working on, I
> decided to throw a couple of the web's most popular URLs into the W3C
> Markup Validator.
>
> Out of microsoft.com, google.com, amazon.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, and
> mozilla.org, only Mozilla's site came back "Valid HTML".
>
> So if all these places, with their teams of web developers don't seem to
> care, should the rest of us small time web devs concern ourselves with
> standards? I do, but sometimes I feel it's a wasted effort. What do yinz
> think?
>
> P.S. Slashdot returned a 403 Forbidden to the validator but when I saved
> the homepage locally, it failed too.
You should note that it can be pretty hard to get such pages (I mean the
large portal like microsoft, yahoo...) valid. Such pages are dynamically
constructed with content from various sources. It is more of an
organizational monster act, to get the code corrected in databases in
various departments (finding and convincing the responsible people first),
hardcoded in custom software (perhaps developed by external contractors),
ad code delivered by affiliates...

mozilla.org is (compared to the others) a pretty small site and has just
been redesigned.
Even if the others started fixing their sites two year ago, I wouldn't
expect them to get the job done by now.
Microsoft for example just started this job (not sure, if it was
microsoft.com or another of their portal sites). They did pretty well, but
are still far from being perfect. IIRC some microsoft guy wrote about it -
and the obstacles in his blog.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de