Re: Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Sugapablo wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, while checking on a site I was working on, I
> decided to throw a couple of the web's most popular URLs into the W3C
> Markup Validator.

Good idea; good initiative.

> Out of microsoft.com, google.com, amazon.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, and
> mozilla.org, only Mozilla's site came back "Valid HTML".

That is sad news. This reflects on disregard for standards and moreover --
the inexperience of Web developers that these companies hire.

The movement of Web standards, much like that of Open Source, promotes a Web
that does not discriminate. This benefits everybody. So surely, Amazon,
Yahoo and M¥¢ro$o£t do not care enough. Mozilla have been discriminated
against for many years.

Want to know more about Web standards? Talk to the visually impaired, talk
to the PDA user, talk to the person in Africa who cannot afford a Window$
licence.

> So if all these places, with their teams of web developers don't seem to
> care, should the rest of us small time web devs concern ourselves with
> standards?

Yes. One day many of us will have to 'clean up' our Web sites. You, however,
will not need to do so. Your present effort will be merited. 1 year ago
people designed their site to be compatible with IE. With so much going on
at the moment, can anyone look 5 years ahead?

> I do, but sometimes I feel it's a wasted effort. What do yinz
> think?

Once you practice a few validations, you learn from your mistakes and no
longer repeat them. Valid code becomes innate.

> P.S. Slashdot returned a 403 Forbidden to the validator but when I saved
> the homepage locally, it failed too.

Ouch. Probably the result of several people collaborating on content.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com