Re: Opinion: Do web standards matter?

Toby Inkster wrote:

> accooper wrote:
>
>> I too try and follow the standards but I don't take much stock in the
>> W3C validator.  Sometimes it will say stupid stuff like " a space is not
>> allowed here".  I mean is that really gunna make a difference.
>
> The W3C validator doesn't ask itself "is this mistake going to make a
> difference?" It just asks "is this valid?" And when it answers, it's
> rarely incorrect.

Actually it answers (should answer) "it /is/ correct", as defined by the
standards in question. At present this means that it will "rarely be
rendered incorrectly by browsers". This implies that some browsers are
broken, not the validators which rely on formal standards.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com