Re: A sound question.

  • Subject: Re: A sound question.
  • From: Spartanicus <invalid@invalid.invalid>
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 08:00:37 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>The choice of format depends on your target audience. If you 'broadcast' to
>a non-scientific community, you might be able to get away with using WMA.
>Computer-proficient users will happily handle Ogg Vorbis files, but for
>anything else use wave (no compression)

Wav is a wrapper format, it can contain any compression scheme known to
man, or it can contain uncompressed data. In the latter case the format
is therefor poorly suited for web usage.

>or MP3 format. Despite all the talk
>about licensing, MP3 will be a fine choice for a 30 second sound file.

It's unwise to break the law in the hope that you won't get caught, or
that the level of enforcing will remain on it's current level.

Plus there is a principle at stake here, it is imperative that internet
transport protocols and data formats are open and rights free. The
internet as we know it today resulted from and is founded on open
transport protocols and data formats, this principle needs to be upheld
if the net is to grow to it's full potential.

Most commercial entities strive to create a monopoly by eliminating all
competition, this allows them to maximize their profits. Open and rights
free content formats are an obstacle to achieving this.

Window MediaPlayer and it's associated closed proprietary transport
protocols, data formats and rights management aims to enslave the world
to MS Windows by turning the content on the web into MS Windows content.

For this MS uses the same strategy they so successfully deployed with
IE,
they create the tools, make them available "for free" for anyone who has
a Windows license, then they make it an integral part of their OS that
is impossible to uninstall. The web as it is today is full of MS IE only
content, this should not be allowed to happen to audio/video content, it
is detrimental to the interests of users.

--
Spartanicus