Re: A sound question.

Spartanicus wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
> > Despite all the talk
> > about licensing, MP3 will be a fine choice for a 30 second sound
file.

> [snip legal advice]
>
> Plus there is a principle at stake here, it is imperative that
internet
> transport protocols and data formats are open and rights free. The
> internet as we know it today resulted from and is founded on open
> transport protocols and data formats, this principle needs to be
upheld
> if the net is to grow to it's full potential.

You make the same mistake as RMS - assuming the average developer/user
cares about freedom. If you want open formats to win, you've got to
make them better (in the appropriate sense) than proprietary formats -
like PNG, which is far superior to GIF.

--
Safalra (Stephen Morley)
http://www.safalra.com/hypertext/