Re: help breaking through plateau

__/ [pil] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 19:38 \__

> I have been doing workouts for 3 years now. I had a chronic illness which
> cause me to be extremely skinny. But since I started training I gained some
> weight.  The problem is that I now find myself unable to gain more muscle
> or increase strength.

Same here, mate. After 10 years I'm lucky if I can raise the bar once a year
or once every 6 months at best. Best gains and greatest progress are made at
the start.

> In the first 2 years I only trained my shoulders and arms with a little
> chest workout. It was only recently that I started working out my back and
> legs as well as I learned that working out larger muscle groups is
> beneficial.

Working on your entire body is the correct way to go. We are not a mere
half-body and getting the physique of a rooster is definitely undesirable.

> My workout program currently looks like this:
>
> Day1
> Squat - 4 Sets of 12 reps at 200 pounds
> Calve Raises - 3 sets ; 12 reps ; 220 pounds
> Leg Curls - 3 sets ; 12 reps ; 72 pounds

How long does that take? Any chance of extension, in particular after 3
years? Do you complement that with some cardiovascular exercise?

> Day3
> Barbell Shoulder Press - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 100 pounds
> Upright Row - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 105 pounds
> Side Raises - 3 sets ; 10 reps ; 17 pounds
>
> Day 5
> 30 deg Inc barbell bench - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 132 pounds
> Dumbbell Flies - 3 sets ; 6 reps ; 22 pounds
>
> Day 7
> Barbell Preacher Curl - 6 sets ; 6 reps ; 55 pounds
> Wrist Curls - 4 sets ;  12 ; reps ;  68 pounds
> 30 deg dumbbell bicep curls - 3 sets ; 6 reps ; 22 pounds
> Tricep dumbell Bends - 4 sets ; 12 reps ; 22 pounds
>
> I weight about 187 pounds and my length is 6 feet.

If you say that you used to be "extremely skinny", that is impressive
progress.

> Where must I improve? And how?

I think you could raise the number of sets do you do. How long do you rest
for between sets and how much time can you afford to expend? What about the
dietary side? You seem to have neglected to mention this. It is just as
important (if not more) than exercise.

> I am doing my exercises at home. I only have a inclinable bench press with
> a leg extension system.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  8:50am  up 68 days 14:39,  8 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.26, 0.29