Re: help breaking through plateau

__/ [pil] on Wednesday 02 November 2005 16:29 \__

> [...]
>>
>>> I have been doing workouts for 3 years now. I had a chronic illness which
>>> cause me to be extremely skinny. But since I started training I gained
>>> some
>>> weight.  The problem is that I now find myself unable to gain more muscle
>>> or increase strength.
>>

>> Same here, mate. After 10 years I'm lucky if I can raise the bar once a
>> year
>> or once every 6 months at best. Best gains and greatest progress are made
>> at
>> the start.
>>

>>> In the first 2 years I only trained my shoulders and arms with a little
>>> chest workout. It was only recently that I started working out my back
>>> and
>>> legs as well as I learned that working out larger muscle groups is
>>> beneficial.
>>

>> Working on your entire body is the correct way to go. We are not a mere
>> half-body and getting the physique of a rooster is definitely undesirable.
>>

>>> My workout program currently looks like this:
>>>
>>> Day1
>>> Squat - 4 Sets of 12 reps at 200 pounds
>>> Calve Raises - 3 sets ; 12 reps ; 220 pounds
>>> Leg Curls - 3 sets ; 12 reps ; 72 pounds
>>

>> How long does that take? Any chance of extension, in particular after 3
>> years? Do you complement that with some cardiovascular exercise?
>>

>>> Day3
>>> Barbell Shoulder Press - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 100 pounds
>>> Upright Row - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 105 pounds
>>> Side Raises - 3 sets ; 10 reps ; 17 pounds
>>>
>>> Day 5
>>> 30 deg Inc barbell bench - 4 sets ; 6 reps ; 132 pounds
>>> Dumbbell Flies - 3 sets ; 6 reps ; 22 pounds
>>>
>>> Day 7
>>> Barbell Preacher Curl - 6 sets ; 6 reps ; 55 pounds
>>> Wrist Curls - 4 sets ;  12 ; reps ;  68 pounds
>>> 30 deg dumbbell bicep curls - 3 sets ; 6 reps ; 22 pounds
>>> Tricep dumbell Bends - 4 sets ; 12 reps ; 22 pounds
>>>
>>> I weight about 187 pounds and my length is 6 feet.
>>

>> If you say that you used to be "extremely skinny", that is impressive
>> progress.
>>

>>> Where must I improve? And how?
>>

>> I think you could raise the number of sets do you do. How long do you rest
>> for between sets and how much time can you afford to expend? What about
>> the
>> dietary side? You seem to have neglected to mention this. It is just as
>> important (if not more) than exercise.
>>

>>> I am doing my exercises at home. I only have a inclinable bench press
>>> with
>>> a leg extension system.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any help
>>

>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
>> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>>  8:50am  up 68 days 14:39,  8 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.26, 0.29
>
> I forgot to mention my back and abs exercises.

As  long as you care enough to do this (some do not), you get a sufficient
variety.  Like  the other poster said, try changing your routine  slightly
and see if you can adapt to heavier weights. This can often help you break
through  the plateau, eventually. As long as the equipment you have allows
you to 'raise the bar' (metaphorically or not), do so.

> I do bent over rows and single arm rows for back and normal crunches with a
> weight held up above me.
>
> I am currently cutting my carb intake because I want to lose some body fat.
> I tried to attach pictures of my upper body but the server wont accept it.
> How else can I get it through?

I  don't think this newsgroup accepts binaries (such as pictures) and  you
should  not  try to do so. I think it's rather irrelevant as it  will  not
help  tailor a diet or exercise for you. As regards diet, consider  taking
more protein at the expense of carbs that take away your appetite. Prepare
yourself a strict diet and stick to it. First diet, then exercise.

Best wishes,