Re: Lupper: linux worm

  • Subject: Re: Lupper: linux worm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:28:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.hacker
__/ [Gandalf  Parker] on Tuesday 08 November 2005 16:29 \__

> *sigh* well we knew it was possible and even discussed methods. Been done
> before and will again. As Linux gets more popular, with popular packages,
> and more "default installs"; there will be more of this.
>
> http://ct.zdnet.com.com/clicks?c=720865-301487&brand=zdnet&ds=5&fs=0
>
> Well we still have a good score but its going to get harder and harder to
> maintain it
>
> Gandalf  Parker

Why  is it labelled a "Linux virus/worm" though? I repeatedly see that  in
the  headlines, but it is XML-RPC packages that are flawed and cause Linux
servers to be targetted.

Is there anything funamentally bad with the kernel? Is XML-RPC an integral
part  of  a  Linux server out of the box or a desktop  running  Linux?  Of
course  not.  I think the media just likes the deadline which  puts  Linux
alongside  the troubled Windows and makes 90% of the reader have that smug
smile.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."