Re: Article: SuSE uproar, laws-that-backfire

__/ [Lissi] on Thursday 10 November 2005 14:53 \__

> On 10 Nov 2005 the suspect Roy Schestowitz said:
>
>> I was disappointed to have heard that at first. I use GNOME at work,
>> but it lacks so much of the goodness KDE has had for years. GNOME will
>> be made the default window manager if I recall correctly. Yet, you can
>> choose to stick with KDE. I know I would. It might be less reliable in
>> future releases of SuSE nontheless. That appears to be the case when
>> GNOME-based distribution are 'strapped' with KDE.
>
> I prefer Enlightenment, because I like eyecandy :) One thing I liked
> SuSE for was that it had many windowmanagers, all preconfigured, so
> that you could switch without pain. GNOME is what Explorer is for Win:
> not nearly useful or flexible enough. Under Win, I switch to LiteStep
> whenever possible.

Interesting views. I was quite impressed with Metisse for FVWM:

http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/

I hope the concept comes to KDE/GNOME rather soon. Windows seems to have lost
their direction and conceded the 3-D 'stuff':

http://www.schestowitz.com/Weblog_Frames/sphere_win.jpg

Also see KDE Plasma and GNOME Luminocity if you have time or interest:

* http://plasma.bddf.ca/

* http://tinyurl.com/e23yc

>> Speaking of choice, Ubuntu can have KDE installed using Synaptic (the
>> package management tool), so even without Kubunutu, choice prevails,
>> which is great.
>
> I see I'll have to try out Ubuntu :)

It's neat, but not for work in my humble opinion (unless you merely SSH to a
work machine).

Good for:

- WiFi (hardware probing)

- Linux beginners

- Office use

It doesn't seem like a developer's environment. It needs to be enhanced
manually as it comes with just the necessities 'out of the box'.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"
  4:00pm  up 7 days 11:58,  4 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.39, 0.59