Re: More MS innovation

  • Subject: Re: More MS innovation
  • From: r.e.ballard@xxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Nov 2005 10:22:57 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I followed a couple of links to get directly to the links for Open
Document format.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

This is the specification in PDF format.
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12572/OpenDocument-v1.0-os.pdf
And
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12573/OpenDocument-v1.0-os.sxw

The whole document is about 700 pages, and is easier to read than most
Microsoft printed documentation.

Does Microsoft offer anything remotely close to such detailed
specifications which are as easily accessed?

Note that you don't have to sign a nondisclosure agreement, submit an
"application", or even "register" to access these specifications.

Just looking at it for about 30 minutes, I began to see possibilities
for quickly creating scripted documents using this format/protocol.

I could capture information from structured data I could parse in PERL
or Java, convert that into information that can be delivered as a
presentation, AND as a document, and as a diagram, without having to
manually manage the documents using cut/paste.

This could be a HUGE time saver!