Re: An interesting article on OS comparisons - by Microsoft.

  • Subject: Re: An interesting article on OS comparisons - by Microsoft.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:53:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Linønut] on Saturday 12 November 2005 01:25 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Rich Gibbs belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker said the following, on 11/11/05 14:48:
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459
>>>

>> Here's a link to the original Microsoft paper (.pdf):
>>
>>    <ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/pub/tr/TR-2005-135.pdf>
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but some of the performance
>> comparisons are, um, interesting.
>
> I like this (from the blog):
>
>    So why is this interesting? Because their test methods reflect
>    Windows internals, not Unix kernel design. There are better, faster,
>    ways of doing these things in Unix, but these guys - among the best
>    and brightest programmers working at Microsoft- either didn't know or
>    didn't care.
>
>    And if they're the best and brightest, what do you think happens when
>    the average Microsoft programming whiz gets asked to program for
>    Linux?

Microsoft finally *give* the fact, but hide them under a thick blanket (PDF)
that would better not leak to the world:

<quote>
What's noteworthy about it is that Microsoft compared Singularity to FreeBSD
and Linux as well as Windows/XP - and almost every result shows Windows
losing to the two Unix variants. For example, they show the number of CPU
cycles needed to "create and start a process" as 1,032,000 for FreeBSD,
719,000 for Linux, and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP.
</quote>

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
  3:50am  up 8 days 23:48,  3 users,  load average: 1.03, 0.34, 0.11