Re: A teenager migration

  • Subject: Re: A teenager migration
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:51:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Postmaster] on Friday 11 November 2005 21:58 \__

> "Ilkka Pirskanen" <ilkka.pirskanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "Postmaster" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Dear Suse,
>>>        The installation went easily and perfectly. Not a single
>>>    glitch ! All hardware was correctly identified and is working
>>>    perfectly. He is quickly learning the GUI, the utilities, and is very
>>>    happy with entire system.
>>
>> If something on the Internet sounds too good to be true, it almost
>> certainly is not true...
>>
>> Ilkka

But it /is/ true.

I installed 9.3 a couple weeks ago and all went smoothly, even with cheap
hardware. Ubuntu likewise, so why stick to stereotypes? In fact, last month
we installed Windows XP for my mother. The monitor was improperly detected,
sound still does not work, Web cam was difficult to get working, virus took
over after *minutes* and the list goes on and on. The neighbour's lawn seems
greener if you have not metaphorically crossed the fence for several years.

>     The install went very smoothly. No glitches at all.
>
> The hardware:
>     AMD 3700+
>     DFI LanParty motherboard. (nf3 250GB)
>     Maxstor SATA 120 Gbyte drives. (6Y120M0)
>     Nvidia GeForce 6800GT graphics card.
>     PS/2 keyboard
>     USB Logitech mouse.
>     USB Logitech webcam.
>     Sound: Built-in Nvidia 7.1 sound.
>     Raid: Built-in Nvidia Raid.
>     NIC: Built-in Nvidia CK-8S 10/100/1000 BT.
>     1 Gbyte of RAM.
>     CDROM: Memorex 52MAXX 3252Aj1
>     CDROM:  TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H542A.
>     Monitor: Syncmaster 192 MP. (LCD)
>     IEEE 1394 Interface: Built-in.
>

>     Initial install went perfectly, and all YAST updates
>     also went perfectly.
>
>     GAIM up and running.
>     Yahoo IM up and running.
>     Evolution up and running.
>     Firefox up and running.
>     OpenOffice up and running.
>
>     No problems seen.
>
>     Guys,  It just worked... Really :-)

Glad to see this post was genuine... sorry about duplicate paragraphs in my
previous reply (clearly an accident). You may be happy to hear that your
message reached the advocacy newsgroup and thus got read by many, including
Windows advocates who did not confute your words (which is /rare/).