Re: Less words ... less hits ? !

__/ [Pekilan] on Monday 14 November 2005 00:03 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> That  is  an interesting observation. By adding words, one  would  imagine
>> that  options will be narrowed down. Then again, bear in mind that without
>> allintext you might be broadening the number of pages as you add keywords.
>> It  is not an accurate science and the way indices get arranged in  Google
>> is rather opaque.
>
> I suspected that, got a lot of pages in which the words where only in links
> pointing to the page (what use ? bah!).
>
>> Are  you  trying to find out which 'territory' you should target?  If  you
>> compose a page about what the aforementioned text implies, be sure to sub-
>> mit it to:
>>
>> http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>
> No, I am only searching a precompiled kernel for my notebook. But it
> happened before (the strange Google behavior) so I wanted to deep-in.

I thought you were writing up rather than searching for a page.

>> Just in case it is /not/ there already.
>>
>> I  agree that your last example is indeed an oddity. Could this have  any-
>> thing to do with the recent updates? I doubt it personally.
>
> Without allintext I though to filter out all pages without "all the words",
> but ... after a bunch of searches I found the reason: here is the
> explaination:
>
> "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some
> entries very similar to the 22 already displayed.
> If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."
>
> If I select to "include omitted results" the hits jump to "about 1,100"
> So you understand that the hit count is not the actual hit count, but only
> the Google filtered hit count. Therefore the 98 hits are really more than
> 1'100. Time to go sleep ... :-)

...You won't get much of that if you stick with Gentoo. Word on the street,
which is also a gross generalisation, is that Gentoo is for ricers and will
soon become a full-time job. Installation can be darn difficult.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
  5:20am  up 11 days  1:18,  2 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.63, 0.67