Re: Some questions 'bout the movie

  • Subject: Re: Some questions 'bout the movie
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:57:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.palm
__/ [RicercatoreSbadato] on Wednesday 16 November 2005 22:15 \__

> I have a PalmOS:
>
> - how can I put some movies on the PalmOS?
> - how can I put some music?
>
> I use Palm desktop but I don't see the way to do it..

Palm O/S is reluctant to allow files other than PRC's and PDB's to be sent
to  your Palm. If the files are neither applications nor application  data
files,  they might add clutter to your Palm filestore (no directories)  or
'clog' your Palm, draining it from free space.

Palm's software is trying to 'help' you or supposedly protect you, even if
you  know  *exactly* what you are doing. Moreover, as far as I know,  Palm
Desktop  and its installation facilities still disallow you to send  files
directly to an SD card (or any auxiliary storage for that matter). The us-
er must ship it to the main memory (RAM) instead.

With  software like RealPlayer for Palm you should receive a Windows (also
Mac  I suppose) tool which allows you to send music files directly to your
memory  card. I am not sure about movies, but I assume that similar  desk-
top-side  utilities exist. They might come with the movie-playing applica-
tions.

If you use Linux this might actually be simplified as pilot-link (the very
latest  version  of it) has an option for sending merely any file to  main
memory or the SD card. Something like:

pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -i *.mp3 *.avi -D /Palm/Media

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
  3:45am  up 13 days 23:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.36, 0.48