Re: amaroK

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:43:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [m] on Friday 18 November 2005 17:37 \__
>
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:16:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [Kier] on Friday 18 November 2005 13:07 \__

>>> It  is  my favourite KDE application at the moment. I love so many of  its
>>> album  management features, but I just wish it was slightly more stable. I
>>> still  use XMMS at work, but it requires quite a bit of manual handling of
>>> playlists  or  occasional "Jump to track". After AmaroK, XMMS  just  seems
>>> like  a waste of time and a significant step back. I raised that as an is-
>>> sue  in the XMMS users mailing list recently and it is still unknown  when
>>> XMMS 2 will come out. With Amarok, it sometimes feels like XMMS betrayal.
>>>
>>> Roy
>>
>> Having decided to install kubuntu, does anyone know where you download the
>> decoders for mp3, mpeg etc?
>>
>> Regards,

> I know this does not answer your question directly, but I wrote about my
> experiences with Ubuntu and SuSE MP3 decoders in:
>
> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/10/28/amarok-features/
>
> See the subsection at the bottom, which talks about filetype support. There
> are a couple of links there too, which I think have helped many people get
> their MP3 collections spinning.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Hi Roy, one paragraph says this:

As for Ubuntu, XMMS with MP3 support can be trivially installed using the
package manager called Synaptic. By default, older versions of Ubuntu (at
the least) come with no application that handle MP3 format. That is just a
painful reality as far as I can gather.
<<

Which I have already done. Any libraries that have mp3 etc support I have
installed. For some reason I can't hear any of the sound output of amarok.
I have been the KDE control center, pressed "Test Sound" and what it
produces I can hear.

Debian would play mp3 and video files, put I could not hear anything
because it had not detected my sound card, and sadly my attempts to fix
this problem didn't prove successful. Now I have installed Kubuntu,
which has detected my sound card, now I am having problems with amarok, in
that I can't hear anything, and won't play mp3 etc.

All rather frustrating :-(, so any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,